Monday, September 24, 2007

12 Days & Counting

I guess I should post something about running.

I have 12 days left until the St. George Marathon on Saturday, October 6th. My training has gone fairly well, although I have had some nagging calf issues through most of it. Fortunately, they seem to be clearing up as we start the taper.

My #1 goal for St. George is to qualify for the Boston Marathon by finishing under 3:10 (7:15/mile). This will be my 5th legitimate attempt to qualify and hopefully the last.

If I have a good day, my 2nd goal is break 3:00 (6:52/mile). I've been training for this pace all summer knowing that the course is supposed to be smoking fast. If I'm feeling good, I want to be comfortable moving that speed and seeing those splits on my watch.

My plan is stay as comfortable as possible through Mile 12 where the 4-5 mile uphill section ends. After that it looks to be a screaming downhill course. If I run smart and conserve enough, I should be able to take advantage of the downhills and smash that Boston-qualifying time.