Friday, October 2, 2009

Lucky Bamboo



In February 2003 as I was getting ready to run my first marathon, I received a package in the mail from my sister. In it was a good luck present for the race, a "Lucky Bamboo" plant. It was a great gift and a perfect plant for me. It didn't require a lot of care or attention. Just add water when it starts to run out. Since then I've always thought of it as a marathon good luck charm.

My lucky bamboo has lasted all this time and has been with me through 4 houses now. It originally had 3 stalks, but over the years a couple of them died and I removed them. The last stalk hung on until this week when it turned yellow, just as I am getting ready to leave for Portland for my 17th marathon. I sure hope that doesn't mean anything!

I don't know if turning yellow means it is dead, or not. After doing some research, I see that lucky bamboo is not supposed to be in direct sunlight, which it is, of course, sitting in the window. I don't remember that being in the care instructions. I'll have to pull it out of the window, give it some fresh, clean water and hope it revives itself.

No comments: